Matthew M. Collie
I am an accomplished, high performing leader and communicator with more than a decade of professional experience in government relations, public policy, and healthcare advocacy. Specializing in cultivating corporate and government alliances on behalf of large organizations and institutions, I have a track record of building alliances on both sides of the aisle to build support for programs, policies, and change initiatives. An excellent fiscal steward with analytical expertise, I pride myself in being able to develop strategic roadmaps to foster improvement and strengthen corporate culture. I possess dynamic and purposeful training and development skills, able to rally and empower employees to reach new performance levels to hit improved goals in any organization.
Areas of expertise include:
- Legislative Policy
- Healthcare Reform
- Public Health Policy
- Government Relations
- Strategic Partnerships
- Project Management
- Technology Infrastructure
- Client Relationship Management
- High Performance Team Development
- Communications Strategy
- Training Leadership
As a national award-winning speaker and former political advisor, my communication skills have been credited for influencing opinion and policies, and rallying folks toward a single purpose.
(For a full accounting of my professional experience, please visit my LinkedIn profile.)
Wisconsin Department of Health Services
Wisconsin’s largest public health, health, and social service agency, committed to protecting and promoting the health and safety all state residents.
Program Manager, Healthy Wisconsin Implementation (January 2018 - Present)
Responsible for portfolio implementation of Healthy Wisconsin, the Wisconsin State Health Assessment and State Health Improvement Plan. Direct relationship management, impediment removal and escalation, and strategic planning for team of project managers implementing Healthy Wisconsin’s health priorities.
- Assisted project managers in building project teams, managing stakeholders, facilitating public meetings, and satisfying expectations of senior leadership.
- Developed project charters and project status reports to stakeholders and management.
- Represented and advocated Healthy Wisconsin at public forums and conferences.
- Published annual report Healthy Wisconsin 2018 Addendum.
Grocery store with greater than 90,000 square feet of retail space.
Replenishment Associate (April 2017 - January 2018)
Responsible for breaking down product orders, stocking of product, organization of product storage, maintenance of floor appearance in grocery, dairy, and frozen departments. Frequent front‐line customer service and assistance. Trained new employees.
CoreLink Administrative Solutions
CoreLink is a healthcare technology company for multiple Blue Cross Blue Shield plans serving 1.3 million members.
Manager (October 2014 - September 2016)
Directly responsible for selection, supervision and performance of 20 management direct reports spread out over six states, driving continuous improvements throughout the corporate structure through strategic programming, improved training, expectations and corporate culture.
- Implemented a quality improvement corporate culture change with leadership of an enterprise wide transition from Waterfall project management to Agile project management.
- Improved business intake, customer and governance process via Lean Kaizen turned what was a 2-month process into a 2-week process, resulting in a 75% increase in efficiency.
- Directed corporate initiative for restructured annual bonus program resulting in $600K annually supporting affirmative and innovative culture.
- Developed and facilitated ongoing organizational leadership development sessions.
Project Manager (November 2013 - October 2014)
Managed multiple healthcare IT teams, implementing industry standout $1M project to process third tier healthcare claims in real-time. Responsible for state regulation, audit compliance of team projects. Directed stakeholder management, vendor relations, impediment removal and escalation, and software development life cycle (SDLC) compliance.
- Trained staff on building effective internal and external stakeholder support.
- Led rewrite of internal project management onboarding and reference handbook.
- Agile Scrum Master trained.
Minnesota Department of Health
Minnesota's public health agency, tasked with protecting, maintaining and improving the health of all state residents.
Legislative Policy Director (2011 - November 2013)
Legislative Policy Director for Commissioner of Health and member of Executive Leadership Team, directing government relations for 1,500 employees in $1 billion state agency. Developed vision, strategy, and execution of department’s government relations agenda, leading team of a dozen senior executives and managers.
- External liaison to State Legislature – testified and negotiated on behalf of the department.
- Trained staff on legislative process, advocacy, and executive level communications.
- Wrote and implemented healthcare regulations including healthcare reform (ACA and state reforms), reporting, licensing requirements, medical privacy, and Medicare/CMS regulations.
- Passed legislation resulting in tripling the number of homes tested for radon since 2010.
- Worked with Health Plans (BCBS, etc.), Health Systems (Mayo Clinic, etc.), hospitals, and health professionals on issues like EHRs, health education loan forgiveness, and All-Payer Claims Database.
- Analyzed state legislation, wrote briefs of legislation’s effects for senior executives.
- Operated as Situation Unit Leader in Incident Command Structure during:
- 2011 state government shutdown planning.
- 2013 federal government shutdown planning and response.
Minnesota House of Representatives
The lower house of the Minnesota State Legislature tasked with passing legislation and serving the citizens of Minnesota.
Committee Legislative Assistant (2007 - 2011)
Administrative assistant, customer service coordinator, and policy analyst for multiple state representatives.
- Administrated passage of Early Childhood Finance and Policy Division omnibus bill approaching $400M in budget and policy provisions pertaining to children and families.
- Primary communications and representative contact for external stakeholders, media, and general public for multiple state representatives. Each state representative served approximately 36,000 constituents.
Minnesota House DFL Caucus
Political organization dedicated to electing DFL members to the Minnesota House of Representatives.
Field Organizer (2006)
Managed local political office, recruiting and training volunteers, expanding grassroots efforts for three separate State House races over broad region of state.
- Led local GOTV (Get Out the Vote) effort.
- Coordinated with state and federal campaigns.
- Drafted and distributed press releases.
- Analyzed local political trends to continuously improve strategy.
Interests, Honors, and Accomplishments
Healthy Wisconsin 2018 Addendum (September 2018)
Wisconsin Department of Health Services: Healthy Wisconsin is a five-year (2015–2020) strategic plan guiding public health in Wisconsin. The 2018 Addendum updates public health indicator data as well as plan objectives and strategies.
2013 Legislative Session Resource Book (June 2013)
Minnesota Department of Health: Summary of the impacts of the 2013 Minnesota legislative session on the Minnesota Department of Health.
2012 Legislative Session Resource Book (June 2012)
Minnesota Department of Health: Summary of the impacts of the 2012 Minnesota legislative session on the Minnesota Department of Health.
Thespian, Professional and Community Theatre (2014-Present)
(For a full accounting of my acting experience, visit my Artist page.)
Judge, History Day Competitions (2012-Present)
Judge, Collegiate Speech Competitions (2006-Present)
(For a full accounting of my involvement with forensics, visit my Forensics page.)
Honors and Awards
National Forensics Association Hall of Fame, Induction Class of 2013
AFA-NIET All-American Team, Class of 2006
One of only 13 members chosen nationally
AFA-NIET District IV Kevin Heineman Student Award, 2006 Honoree
The AFA-NIET District IV Kevin Heineman Student Award recognizes one outstanding student from District IV (Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin) chosen by their peers as an outstanding member of the regional forensics community. The AFA-NIET District IV Kevin Heineman Student Award is awarded based on the leadership, fellowship, and sportsmanlike conduct witnessed by the students and coaches of the district throughout the recipient’s collegiate career.
The award is named in memory of Kevin Heineman, a beloved coach at Hastings College who exemplified the true spirit of competition, excellence, and honor.
(For a full accounting of my forensics honors, visit my Forensics page.)
Minnesota State University – Mankato
Bachelor of Science, Summa Cum Laude (2006)
Minor: Speech Communication
Dean’s List (2002-2006)