Matthew M. Collie
I am an accomplished, high performing leader and communicator with more than a decade of professional experience in government relations, public policy, and healthcare advocacy. Specializing in cultivating corporate and government alliances on behalf of large organizations and institutions, I have a track record of building alliances on both sides of the aisle to build support for programs, policies, and change initiatives. An excellent fiscal steward with analytical expertise, I pride myself in being able to develop strategic roadmaps to foster improvement and strengthen corporate culture. I possess dynamic and purposeful training and development skills, able to rally and empower employees to reach new performance levels to hit improved goals in any organization.
Areas of expertise include:
- Legislative Policy
- Healthcare Reform
- Public Health Policy
- Government Relations
- Strategic Partnerships
- Project Management
- Technology Infrastructure
- Client Relationship Management
- High Performance Team Development
- Communications Strategy
- Training Leadership
As a national award-winning speaker and former political advisor, my communication skills have been credited for influencing opinion and policies, and rallying folks toward a single purpose.
(For a full accounting of my professional experience, please visit my LinkedIn profile.)
Wisconsin Department of Health Services
Wisconsin’s largest public health, health, and social service agency, committed to protecting and promoting the health and safety all state residents.
Public Health Program and Policy Analyst (January 2019 - Present)
DHS 140 Review Program Coordinator
Responsible for development, implementation, management, and quality process improvement of the Wisconsin Administrative Code DHS 140 review program, a statewide regulatory review program of local health departments. Analyze and provide recommendations on public health law for senior officials.
- Developed and implemented regulatory program affecting all 85 Wisconsin local health departments.
- Transformed distributed job functions into consolidated regulatory program.
- Envisioned, drafted, and implemented communications plans impacting 85 local health officers and department staff for:
- Six month administrative interregnum of local health department reviews as a result of COVID-19 pandemic response.
- Implementation of new Administrative Rule and statewide DHS 140 review program policies and procedures resulting from the new rule language.
- Lead liaison with local health departments on Results Based Accountability pilot program to improve evaluation of public health programs.
COVID-19 Pandemic Response
Project manager for the State Disaster Medical Advisory Committee (January 2021-Present)
Policy research team member (March-August 2020)
- Coordinated creation of Isolation Site Considerations Toolkit, a cultural and inequity considerations supplement to state guidance on development and operation of COVID-19 isolation policies.
- Monitored and analyzed COVID-19 pandemic response policies of four states (IL, IA, MI, and MN) compared to Wisconsin, particularly public health legislation, departmental policy issuances, and executive directives.
Program Manager, Healthy Wisconsin Implementation (January 2018 - January 2019)
Responsible for portfolio implementation of Healthy Wisconsin, the Wisconsin State Health Assessment and State Health Improvement Plan. Direct relationship management, impediment removal and escalation, and strategic planning for team of project managers implementing Healthy Wisconsin’s health priorities.
- Assisted project managers in building project teams, managing stakeholders, facilitating public meetings, and satisfying expectations of senior leadership.
- Developed project charters and project status reports to stakeholders and management.
- Represented and advocated Healthy Wisconsin at public forums and conferences.
- Published annual report Healthy Wisconsin 2018 Addendum.
Grocery store with greater than 90,000 square feet of retail space.
Replenishment Associate (April 2017 - January 2018)
Responsible for breaking down product orders, stocking of product, organization of product storage, maintenance of floor appearance in grocery, dairy, and frozen departments. Frequent front‐line customer service and assistance. Trained new employees.
CoreLink Administrative Solutions
CoreLink is a healthcare technology company for multiple Blue Cross Blue Shield plans serving 1.3 million members.
Manager (October 2014 - September 2016)
Directly responsible for selection, supervision and performance of 20 management direct reports spread out over six states, driving continuous improvements throughout the corporate structure through strategic programming, improved training, expectations and corporate culture.
- Implemented a quality improvement corporate culture change with leadership of an enterprise wide transition from Waterfall project management to Agile project management.
- Improved business intake, customer and governance process via Lean Kaizen turned what was a 2-month process into a 2-week process, resulting in a 75% increase in efficiency.
- Directed corporate initiative for restructured annual bonus program resulting in $600K annually supporting affirmative and innovative culture.
- Developed and facilitated ongoing organizational leadership development sessions.
Project Manager (November 2013 - October 2014)
Managed multiple healthcare IT teams, implementing industry standout $1M project to process third tier healthcare claims in real-time. Responsible for state regulation, audit compliance of team projects. Directed stakeholder management, vendor relations, impediment removal and escalation, and software development life cycle (SDLC) compliance.
- Trained staff on building effective internal and external stakeholder support.
- Led rewrite of internal project management onboarding and reference handbook.
- Agile Scrum Master trained.
Minnesota Department of Health
Minnesota's public health agency, tasked with protecting, maintaining and improving the health of all state residents.
Legislative Policy Director (2011 - November 2013)
Legislative Policy Director for Commissioner of Health and member of Executive Leadership Team, directing government relations for 1,500 employees in $1 billion state agency. Developed vision, strategy, and execution of department’s government relations agenda, leading team of a dozen senior executives and managers.
- Liaison to:
- Governor’s Office – led department biennial budget and annual policy proposal development
- State Legislature – testified and negotiated on behalf of the department
- Public – partner to public stakeholders regarding public health legislation
- Passed legislation resulting in tripling the number of homes tested for radon since 2010.
- Trained staff on legislative process, advocacy, and executive level communications.
- Analyzed state legislation, wrote briefs of legislation’s effects for senior executives.
- Legislative liaison on issues like domestic violence and sexual assault, electronic health records (EHRs), health education loan forgiveness, and All-Payer Claims Database.
- Wrote and implemented healthcare regulations including healthcare reform (ACA and state reforms), reporting, licensing requirements, medical privacy, and Medicare/CMS regulations.
- Operated as Situation Unit Leader in Incident Command Structure during:
- 2011 state government shutdown planning.
- 2013 federal government shutdown planning and response.
Minnesota House of Representatives
The lower house of the Minnesota State Legislature tasked with passing legislation and serving the citizens of Minnesota.
Committee Legislative Assistant (2007 - 2011)
Administrative assistant, customer service coordinator, and policy analyst for multiple state representatives.
- Administrated passage of Early Childhood Finance and Policy Division omnibus bill approaching $400M in budget and policy provisions pertaining to children and families.
- Primary communications and representative contact for external stakeholders, media, and general public for multiple state representatives. Each state representative served approximately 36,000 constituents.
Minnesota House DFL Caucus
Political organization dedicated to electing DFL members to the Minnesota House of Representatives.
Field Organizer (2006)
Managed local political office, recruiting and training volunteers, expanding grassroots efforts for three separate State House races over broad region of state.
- Led local GOTV (Get Out the Vote) effort.
- Coordinated with state and federal campaigns.
- Drafted and distributed press releases.
- Analyzed local political trends to continuously improve strategy.
Interests, Honors, and Accomplishments
Isolation Site Considerations Toolkit (April 2020)
Wisconsin Department of Health Services: Cultural and inequity considerations supplement to the COVID-19 Local Community - Isolation Site Manual (P-02639).
Healthy Wisconsin 2018 Addendum (September 2018)
Wisconsin Department of Health Services: Healthy Wisconsin is a five-year (2015–2020) strategic plan guiding public health in Wisconsin. The 2018 Addendum updates public health indicator data as well as plan objectives and strategies.
2013 Legislative Session Resource Book (June 2013)
Minnesota Department of Health: Summary of the impacts of the 2013 Minnesota legislative session on the Minnesota Department of Health.
2012 Legislative Session Resource Book (June 2012)
Minnesota Department of Health: Summary of the impacts of the 2012 Minnesota legislative session on the Minnesota Department of Health.
Matthew, you are everything I would be terrified of encountering in a civil servant: adept, specific, and well informed.
-Tyler Schoen, Strategic Initiatives Coordinator and Public Health Educator, Wisconsin Department of Health Services
Thespian, Professional and Community Theatre (2014-Present)
(For a full accounting of my acting experience, visit my Artist page.)
Judge, History Day Competitions (2012-Present)
Judge, Collegiate Speech Competitions (2006-Present)
(For a full accounting of my involvement with forensics, visit my Forensics page.)
Matthew is not afraid to challenge the status quo and is also always open to stepping outside his comfort zone to try new and challenging opportunities.
-Joni Wheeler, Former CEO, CoreLink Administrative Solutions
Honors and Awards
National Forensics Association Hall of Fame, Induction Class of 2013
AFA-NIET All-American Team, Class of 2006
One of only 13 members chosen nationally
AFA-NIET District IV Kevin Heineman Student Award, 2006 Honoree
The AFA-NIET District IV Kevin Heineman Student Award recognizes one outstanding student from District IV (Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin) chosen by their peers as an outstanding member of the regional forensics community. The AFA-NIET District IV Kevin Heineman Student Award is awarded based on the leadership, fellowship, and sportsmanlike conduct witnessed by the students and coaches of the district throughout the recipient’s collegiate career.
The award is named in memory of Kevin Heineman, a beloved coach at Hastings College who exemplified the true spirit of competition, excellence, and honor.
(For a full accounting of my forensics honors, visit my Forensics page.)
Above all, I was impressed with Matthew's ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with all types of people, whether a legislator, a constituent, or a fellow colleague.
-Sara Benzkofer, Former Committee Administrator for the Early Childhood Finance and Policy Division, Minnesota House of Representatives
Minnesota State University – Mankato
Bachelor of Science, Summa Cum Laude (2006)
Minor: Speech Communication
Dean’s List (2002-2006)