Top Songs 2013, the third annual list of top songs of the year, to date is my most listened to Top Songs list. 2013 is not blessed with a lot of songs that jump out as epic, but nearly to a song I’ll listen to them whenever they come on.
Top 50 Songs of 2013
The Top 3
In 2013 my car became very acquainted with I-94, I played a lot of cribbage and changed both jobs and homes. These first few songs always seemed to be playing.
- Song Away by Hockey
The number one song for me this year . Starts with a kick, doesn’t stop, lyrically complex and was on repeat all year. This was not in The Current’s regular rotation but the one-off spin came in at the perfect time.
- Stubborn Love by The Lumineers
This song both wrecks me and renews my faith in humanity.
- Sugar Man by Rodriguez
This last year I spent many a Monday night at The Black Dog café playing cribbage. When the café didn’t have a booked live music group, they would play CDs. Cold Fact by Rodriguez played a few times and I discovered the amazing story of Rodriguez’ rediscovery via the documentary “Searching for Sugar Man.” A great album, a phenomenal story.
Songs A-C (But Not A.C. Newman)
- Always Gold by Radical Face
The build on this is so up-lifting. Thanks to Betsy’s 2012 list.
- The Applause by Lady Gaga
- Beta Love by Ra Ra Riot
- Breathing Underwater by Metric
- Bulletproof by La Roux
A little too Devo, but great chorus.
- Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine
Rally round the family…
- Call Me A Hole by Nine Inch Nails and Carly Rae Jepsen by pomDeter
This works too well. Is Jepsen a NIN fan?
- Can’t Hold Us feat. Ray Dalton by Macklamore and Ryan Lewis
First of two by Macklamore and Ryan Lewis. The horns are awesome.
- Clarity by Zedd feat. Foxes
Amazing energy in the chorus.
- Climbing the Walls by They Might Be Giants
- Come Back Down by Greg Laswell feat. Sara Bareilles
I couldn’t stop listening to this in Jan-Feb. The lyrics don’t match the groove but it still works. Thanks to Betsy’s 2012 list.
- Cups by Anna Kendrick
Heard this before watching Pitch Perfect. Seems a backwards way to liking this song.
Top Songs 2013 is on like D-K!
- Do It Anyway by Ben Folds Five
- Electric Fever by Free Energy
Simple driving drums with positive bounce.
- The Encyclopedia of Classic Takedowns by A.C. Newman
Song title alone is worth an entry.
- The Gardner by The Tallest Man on Earth
- Gone, Gone, Gone by Phillip Phillips
Mr. Phillips has entered a rare pantheon of people talented enough to overcome their uncreative parents naming them the same name twice. He joins Kris Kristofferson, Billy Dee Wiliams and Tommy Thompson.
- Hands Open by Snow Patrol
Why doesn’t Snow Patrol always sounds this raw?
- The House that Heaven Built by Japandroids
Driving energy rock.
- I Wonder by Rodriguez
Cold Fact is an album best listened to straight through as the songs blend so well. I Wonder is a beautiful stand out.
- Kill Your Heroes by AWOLNATION
Going to CHVRCHES for recovery (L-R)
- Labrador by Aimee Mann
- Lightning Bolt by Jake Bugg
He’s only 19.
- Man on Fire by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- Molly’s Lips by Nirvana
Still discovering Nirvana 19 years after Cobain’s death.
- The Mother We Share by CHVRCHES
- New Alphabet by Eels
Dirty cool feeling.
- O.N.E. by Yeasayer
This song is synthesized happiness.
- Read Between the Lines by KSM
I don’t know why I have this. It certainly was free somehow. Catchy.
- Recover by CHVRCHES
Breaking two into the list, CHVRCHES is going somewhere.
- Recovery by Frank Turner
I must have had a musical addiction problem this year. I needed some recover and recovery.
- Red Hands by Walk Off the Earth
All the S-es
- Sacrilege by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
I did not take to this song right away. Now I don’t understand why. The choir at the end is breathtaking. Don’t watch the video until you’ve heard the song. THEN watch the video.
- Safe and Sound by Capitol Cities
- See You Again by Miley Cyrus
I was hesitant to put the singer on this song, because if you don’t know the … artist … it comes off as a much better song.
- Show Me Your Light by August Rain
- Sing Loud by Alpha Rev
- Soon As I Get Paid by Keb’ Mo’
I think I need to check out the full album “Slow Down”.
- Stereo Love by Edward Maya feat. Vika Jigulina
This had been at the edge of my consciousness for awhile, playing in stores, the car but I didn’t know what it was called. Finally, I recognized it in the St. Paul Macy’s (during the going-out-of-business liquidation sale) and SoundHound-ed it. There’s umpteen remixes, but the original is the best.
- Summertime Sadness by Lana Del Ray
Why did this start hitting the radio again recently? It’s summertime sadness.
T-W: The end of the musical alphabet
- Tell the Ones I Love by Steep Canyon Rangers
This likely was heard on Radio Heartland, MPR’s streaming station of Americana. I recommend it.
- That’s It by Preservation Hall Jazz Band
And now the instrumental interlude…
- Thrift Shop feat. Wanz by Macklamore and Ryan Lewis
- Timber feat. Ke$ha by Pitbull
I like this song much more than it deserves.
- Unsingable Name by Mike Doughty
Mike Doughty’s voice is instantly recognizable. It carries most of his work, including this song.
- Wake Me Up by Avicii
- Walking Home by We Are Serenades
I love the echo on the clapping. A beautiful song to end a playlist. Thanks to Abby’s 2012 list.
Peruse all of the Top Songs posts.
(Note: The post “Top Songs 2013” was originally posted on December 27, 2013 via the author’s Facebook page. Updates have been made.)